[XaraXtreme-dev] Re: XaraLX-0.7r1717.tar.bz2 disappeared

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 08:59:13AM +0300, Vasil Dimov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The automatic build of the FreeBSD port graphics/xaralx-devel failed
> with the following error:

> => XaraLX-0.7r1717.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /tmp/distfiles/.
> => Attempting to fetch from http://downloads.xara.com/opensource/.
> fetch: http://downloads.xara.com/opensource/XaraLX-0.7r1717.tar.bz2: Not Found
>
> Here is the complete log:
> http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-errorlogs/e.6.2006090213/XaraLX-devel-0.7r1717.log
>
> I tought that archives are kept at least about 30 days or so
> (XaraLX-0.7r1717.tar.bz2 was 10 days old).
>
> Was this deletion accidental or is it going to happen in the future?
> If it is going to happen in the future I will need to mirror the
> archives on ftp.freebsd.org. There is no problem with that, I just need
> to know what to do.
>
> For the current situation I will upgrade the port to 0.7r1738 in a few
> hours thus making it fetchable again.
>
> --
> Vasil Dimov
> gro.DSBeerF@dv
>
> Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
>                 -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

I just upgraded graphics/xaralx-devel to 0.7r1738 no matter it may be
unstable. FreeBSD users have a choice between graphics/xaralx which
is stuck to the recommended (stable) version, currently 0.7r1692 and
graphics/xaralx-devel which I try to keep up with the latest version,
provided that it compiles successfully.

In the future I will copy the archives to the ftp.FreeBSD.org cluster
and make the ports try to fetch from there if fetching from the xara
download site fails.

SVN downloading is unappropriate because it will cost additional
bandwidth and network load for users and will require them to have svn
installed (e.g. add yet another dependency of the xaralx port).

Thanks for all your immediate responses!