Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Versions in Debian (and Ubuntu)

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 20:40 +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:

> --On 9 April 2008 15:24:19 -0400 "William L. Thomson Jr."
> <wltjr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I will just stick with
> > Flash, Illustrator, etc on Windows running under qemu :(
>
> Assuming you are paying for the above,

Paid, past tense long ago ;)

>  far better to run Xtreme under Windows under qemu than Illustrator.

Which requires a new purchase. I wouldn't have a problem purchasing
Linux apps. I am done purchasing Windows ones.

>  4.0 does all sorts of funky stuff and is nowhere near the price of
> Illustator. Of course that isn't as cheap as free, but...

Yeah I am rarely in Illustrator. Mostly Flash and Fireworks, even for
vectors. That added some basic vector support to Fireworks, but not
really something that is exportable.

Usually for core Vector stuff I will work in Flash. Not for animation or
etc. But because it's one of the BEST vector apps out there. It started
as a vector paint program for pen point operating systems. The tweening
and web stuff came WAY later. So it's core still works very well with
Vectors. With the exception of gradient meshes. Advanced stuff like that
you need a more robust vector app.

I still have Freehand, but never used it much. Illustrator was better
there. But most times I will just work in Flash. If I need to take it to
Illutrator, I will export in flash to eps, or most times, just save as
swf. And import that into Illustrator. Although most times I was going
from Illustrator into Flash :) Illustrator export -> swf, import that
into Flash.

From Flash I will scale, etc spit out a PNG, and optimize that in
Fireworks and move on. In fact when I couldn't run flash in qemu due to
being short on ram. Just so happened I had to get art work out for my
online yellow page ad.

That's really when Xara shined for me. I had my stuff in eps format, but
Inkscape couldn't work with it. Xara did great, up to rasterization. The
end result is way more pixelated. Had I been able to do it in Flash,
then take to Fireworks. The resulting gif would have looked better.

Here is the artwork I am speaking of. IMHO looks crappy, to pixelated.
Would have corrected by was pressed artwork, and At&t won't allow me to
change that. Jerks.

http://c66.yellowpages.com/displaygif/bls/ob/_g/obsidianstudios_g.gif

--
William L. Thomson Jr.